Rainbow River Vacation Rentals!
Write a Review on our Review Page and it might make it here on our Home Page!
REview Written by Eric, Booked a Year in Advance.
Over President’s Day weekend we had a 4 night family celebration of our 50th Anniversary plus four family birthdays. What a grand time we had in this expansive and delightfully funky home. One of our guest said “It was like living in a fun house” as we laughed at each other getting lost en route to our bedrooms. Here are some highlights of our weekend.
· We could have asked for warmer weather (50’s, 60’s and one low 70 and chilling down at night) but we kept the fire pit burning constantly (really, never went out) and that provided a warm and cheerful gathering spot. One night late a few of us older folks were sitting around the living room thinking we were the last up, only to find the real party was around the fire pit with folks doing story rounds. Oh, also the house is centrally heated so no problem on those chilly nights.
· The weather didn’t interfere with our water fun. With the beautiful clear river more or less a constant 76 degrees, kids to granny and granddad made good use of the rope swing and swimming. Some took the party boat up the river with tubes and tubed and snorkeled down.
· There were many kayak excursions. With 11 kayaks, everyone or groups could do their own thing. One hearty couple kayaked to the headwaters, one went down river for a geocache.
· Whether kayaking or party boating, there was interesting wildlife to observe, the most fun being a big family of playful river otters.
· At our big celebration party we squeezed 29 of us around a long row of tables on the glassed in porch. The delicious Mexican dinner was fully catered by Dorothy, Ray and their beautiful daughters. The leftovers made for lunch and dinner the next day.
· For our birthday celebration meal we did a delicious cookout on Ray’s big barbeque. There is a Winn Dixie about two miles away so it was easy to keep ourselves fortified.
· The big kitchen is well equipped and different family groups took turns making breakfasts and lunches.
· Our group was made up of all ages. A hilarious doubles table tennis tournament was held, the little kids spent happy times in the enclosed trampoline and the pre/teen and teen set cleaned our clocks on the air hockey and foosball games.
At the peak we slept 25 people comfortably in the house, each family/couple with their own bedrooms. There are enough beds, pretty comfortable too, for a bit over 30. For more than that it would be necessary to have sleeping bags or use the many comfortable chairs and loungers. There are about six bathrooms with one unsuited bathroom still under construction. Ray was keen to get our feedback on improvements we might suggest. His sincerity in this regard is best illustrated by a message exchange we had with him after we left.
ERIC Client: More feedback from a lady guest. Downstairs bathroom too dark and no mirror. No mirror in bedroom. Ladies like mirrors. They stayed in Mardi gras room. Hard to get to bathroom at night. This just because you asked for feedback. We all had a great time.
Ray's Response: Mirrors will be installed tomorrow and I will up the wattage too. I will try to put in another bathroom to accommodate that room too. Thanks for the input.
- The Shelton's
Year Purchased: 1999